Pages

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Faster by the Day, Slower by the Week

Have you ever heard the saying that spindle spinning is slower by the hour but faster by the week, or something like that? The idea is that you don't spin a whole lot of yarn on a spindle in any one spinning session, but the amount you spin adds up over time because the spindle is so portable and you can keep it with you to spin when you find a few free minutes here or there

With the spinning project I've been working on (on the wheel, mind you), I feel like it's been just the opposite. I've been spinning pencil roving, which feels like it spins very quickly because it's such a thin strip of fiber, but then it seems to take forever because there's so much of it. I started this spin two weeks ago, and I've only just finished the bobbin of singles.


Granted, I did not spin much at all this past week, so it's probably not a huge shock that it took me as long as it did to spin these singles. I guess I've come to expect more of myself because I was spinning a three-ply fingering skein in a week earlier in the summer (though that was probably during the Tour de Fleece when I was doing a lot more spinning). In any case, I'll let this rest overnight and probably start plying tomorrow. And I'll feel very happy to have spun some very deep stash -- I can't even remember how long ago I bought this fiber, but the dyer has been out of business for at least two years now and this was one of my earlier orders from them, so it's got to be several years at least!

No comments:

Post a Comment