Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Come On Get Happy

There are many things in my life that make me happy. Spinning is one of them, mainly because I find it so hypnotic -- it's a great stress reliever. So it made perfect sense when David of Southern Cross Fibre announced a spinalong with the theme of "Get Happy" to spin an easy, straightforward yarn from his fiber. You saw the first skein last week. It didn't take me long to spin and ply my other coordinate, Hibiscus, in an almost matching second skein.


As with the first skein, this is a fingering-to-sport two ply with a nice tight ply twist. It took less time to ply this skein, so I knew I had less yardage, but it turned out to be not that much less (331 as opposed to 369 yards).


I wish you could squish this skein. It's so amazingly bouncy. And spinning this wool (Comeback, an Australian breed) was pure delight. It was all I could do not to pull out another one of my two remaining bags of this fiber and start spinning it right away. But there is other fiber piling up, so I thought I'd do something a little different.


That something different is the first half of my most recent shipment from the FatCatKnits fiber club. This is Targhee, and I decided to spin the two braids separately. I'm splitting each batch of top in half vertically, then spinning one strip after another. I'll chain ply them in the end for some self-striping yarn. I'm spinning Cinnamon Clownfish first; it's my less favorite of the two colors, so I thought it would be good motivation to get it done so I can move on to the other color.

It's a good thing the spinning mojo is staying with me, because more fiber arrive this week! This is March's SCF shipment, a colorway called the Final Frontier on Bond, another yummy fiber.


A certain 6-year-old saw this and immediately asked if she could have it (she wants to learn to spin). I'd say it'll be a while before she'd be up to spinning this, so maybe, if I'm feeling extra generous, I'll spin it and knit something for her. I'm kind of hoping, though, that when I put it away in the stash, she'll forget all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment