Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Eve of Completion

One of the perks of my job is that we occasionally have random days off. One of those days is tomorrow, our "spring holiday," so I find myself on the eve of a three-day weekend, one in which I'm hoping to be very productive as far as my crafting is concerned.

For one thing, I feel very confident in saying that my First Point of Libra will be done by tomorrow. When I put it down last night before going to bed, I had just 12 rows and a bind off left to do. I'll spend a couple of hours working on it this evening, so if I don't manage that tonight, it should be no problem to finish it up tomorrow. I have to be up early despite the fact that it's my day off -- I've got to go get some blood drawn for some routine testing, and my appointment is first thing in the morning -- so I figure I'll come home, have some breakfast, and then sit down to knit for a bit. Here is your gratuitous progress shot (you can see just how big this shawl is, and I have a feeling it's going to grow a bit when I block it, too):


Once the shawl is done, my next task will be beginning to ply the giant bobbin of Polwarth singles. I finally finished spinning all 8 oz. last night, and I just realized that if I want to take the finished yarn with me on vacation to start the sweater (assuming I have enough yardage), I have just a little more than a week left to get it plied, skeined, and washed. It is a pretty sight on the bobbin, though, I must say:


What's amazing is that there's probably room for another couple of ounces on this giant bobbin. One of these days I'll have to see just how much I can actually fit.

My handspun socks are moving along really quickly -- I'll already at the heel. It's amusing me that I did all that moaning about knitting dark socks and here I am knitting basically black yarn for socks for me. At least there are some bright colors up ahead.


I don't know how the weather has been where you are this week, but it has been amazingly warm here this week. Yesterday was my birthday (yes, I turned 29 -- again!), and it was warm enough here that I was wearing a T-shirt and had to take off my wool socks. Our spring flowers are coming up quickly and our trees and bushes are sporting buds, so it looks like spring really might be here. It makes me a little sad that I have that lovely sweater still only half knit (and that means that it'll be way too warm to wear it once I do manage to finish it), but I suppose that it will be a nice little gift to myself to have a brand-new sweater to wear come next fall. Soon it will be time to wash all my sweaters and pack them away, and then I suppose it will be time to start knitting light lacy things. As much as I love wool and sweaters and all the traditional knitterly things, I can't say I'm sorry to see winter go.

1 comment:

  1. Happy belated birthday! You made me laugh with the concept of celebrating 29 yrs...twice! Happy three day weekend. Enjoy un interrupted knitting and spinning (aka honeymoon).

    ReplyDelete