Pages

Sunday, May 03, 2015

Hungry Horace

Just a quick post today, because I am just back from Maryland Sheep and Wool and have a bunch of housekeeping to catch up on. But it is Sunday, and I have spinning.


I finished one colorway of one of my Fat Cat Knits Mixed Blessings shipments last weekend. The theme for this round of the club is "Transformation," so the two colorways reflect that in some way. In this pair, Hungry Horace is meant to be the caterpillar (the other colorway, Pepperspark, is supposed to be the butterfly). This skein ended up roughly sport weight and 198 yards for my 2 oz. I was expecting the Targhee to puff up a bit more in the finishing, but it seems like I may have put in a little too much plying twist. Nevertheless, I am happy with how this ended up as a fractal. There's just enough barberpoling in this skein.

The second skein is also under way, and I'm hoping to finish it up this week.


Meanwhile, while I was away, my next shipment showed up. It's a much more subtle pairing than the first shipment, but I love it.


These colorways are called After the Fire and New Growth, and you can definitely see what looks like charred wood in one color and new leaves in the other.


I picked the superwash merino/nylon base for this shipment, so I think I'm going to spin sock yarn. I'll split each color in half and spin one half of each on each bobbin. Then I'll chain ply so that the yarn will transition from After the Fire into New Growth.

Some other new fiber is now in the house as well, but you'll have to wait for the next post to see it!

2 comments:

  1. I love how that Hungry Horace spun up! And I'm excited to see the partner skein-I'm loving the pinks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the green in your new braid.

    ReplyDelete