Pages

Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Perfection

My new sweater is officially done, and it's perfect!


Pattern: State Fair Cardigan by Heather Zoppetti, from Interweave Knits winter 2014
Yarn: Cascade Yarns Alpaca Lana D'Oro (50% wool/50% alpaca), a bit less than six skeins
Needles: US 7 (4.5 mm)
Started/Completed: March 8/April 3
Mods: Totally winged the pick-up rate for the button bands and collar

This sweater was a joy to knit. The fact that I finished the whole thing in less than a month, while also working on other projects, says quite a lot about just how engaging the cable pattern is. Normally I'm very slow with cables and lose interest rather quickly, but that was not at all the case here. This project was very much a case of "just one more row" -- I honestly had a hard time putting it down at night.

I didn't intentionally pick yarn the same color as in the sample in the magazine, but I happened to have seven skeins of it (it was a prize from my LYS's bingo game a couple of years ago) and wanted to use up some stash. I was able to get close enough to gauge with it that I knew it would work. I knit the size that matches my bust measurement, but thanks to the drape of the alpaca content of the yarn, the sweater fits with just a touch of positive ease. That's perfect for me because I always wear sweaters with a shirt underneath, plus I don't really like the look of bulging button bands.


If you're wondering why I'm not modeling the sweater in these photos, let me assure you that it's not because I don't like how it looks on me -- quite the contrary, in fact. (If you really want to see me in it, you can check out the selfie I put up on my Instagram feed as soon as it was finished.) The photos here were taken on Sunday afternoon when the light was really good but my photographer was unavailable, so Matilda the dress form had to stand in for me.

The buttons were picked up at my LYS. They're some sort of metal with a bit of a fancy design on them that of course is difficult to photograph, but I tried:


That darkish spot near the bottom isn't tarnish -- that's my reflection!

I really can't say enough good things about this pattern. It was fun and engaging to knit, and the finished garment is sophisticated and comfortable. The weather was a bit on the cool side this past Saturday, so I got a chance to wear it once before it's packed away for the summer. I have a feeling, though, that it will be in regular rotation come fall!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! And those buttons are absolutely perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow it's so pretty! I love the cables!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Cables always speak to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realizE the whole time I have been watching you make this that it's my friend's design!!

    ReplyDelete