Pages

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Will It Stripe?

I was hoping to have another finished skein of handspun to show you today, but in the past couple of days I've been focusing almost exclusively on Rainbow's sweater, so I've spent very little time at my wheel. I did, however, manage to finish up the third bobbin of singles just a little bit ago, so now I have all the singles done and ready to ply.


I'm really excited to see how this looks when it's plied. There are distinct sections of some bright colors (purple, pink, acid yellow/green) that I'm hoping will coincide in all three plies from time to time, giving me some striping when when yarn is knit up. Of course, I could also end up with a muddy mess. This is one of the things I love best about spinning dyed fiber -- it's almost impossible to tell what the finished yarn will look like!

I've definitely gotten back into my sock yarn spinning groove, so I think I'm going to spin up another skein with this Falkland from CosySpins (on the bottom right):


I'm starting to think that more hardy wools than merino might be better for socks. This fiber isn't superwash, either, so it might felt a bit. I'm going to do a traditional three ply again, so there should be spots of that bright pink and yellow mixed in with the green. I think they will be very cheerful socks to wear on the gloomiest days of winter (which we clearly still have plenty more of here -- it's snowing again!).

No comments:

Post a Comment