Pages

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Silky Fine

For the first time since the conclusion of the Tour de Fleece, I have a new skein of handspun to share!

If you'll recall, my last Bee Mice Elf fiber club shipment looked like this:


Called Herbs on Ice, this braid was a 60% superwash merino/30% bamboo/10% nylon blend. Although I thought the bamboo content was a bit too high for socks (meaning the resulting fabric would have too much drape), I was in the mood to spin a three-ply fingering. So I did.


The finished yarn is smooth and shiny and cool to the touch. I have approximately 345 yards, so probably enough for socks if I wanted to give it a go, but I think I want this to be something I can wrap around my neck.


Clearly I am having no difficulty spinning what used to be my default yarn! I did have some leftovers, but rather than try to fight with a center-pull ball, I decided to just load them onto my leftovers bobbin.

Meanwhile, I finally started plying my sock batt yarn, and I love how it's plying up!


For some reason, my camera refuses to capture the color of this yarn or fiber accurately -- it's a slightly more purple blue in real life. The singles seem to be fairly consistent in their inconsistency, but the yarn is pretty consistent overall. It's slightly fuzzier than my usual, probably because I started with batts. As soon as I hit post on this, I'm going to try to finish plying up the first skein!

1 comment:

  1. The Bee Mice Elf is wild! I would never have guessed that it would end up grey. Pretty though.3

    ReplyDelete