Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Pattern Release: Gaskell

Several months ago, you may remember that I started knitting what eventually became a very large piece of garter stitch that I kept referring to as my Cranford Shawl. I am very pleased to tell you that today it's been released as my newest original pattern -- Gaskell.

This triangular shawl is knit from one side to the other and uses short rows (with no wraps!) to create a subtly ruffled edge along the bottom. The design was inspired by the costuming in the BBC dramatization of Elizabeth Gaskell's Cranford, which featured a number of intriguing shawls. One feature that I particularly liked was a "collar" in the center of some of them, and you will see that on this shawl.

I won't lie -- this shawl is big and uses a fair bit of yarn! But it easily doubles as a sweater, and I've been using it for the past several months when there's a chill in the air and I need an extra layer (but am too lazy to pull out a sweatshirt). It's worked at a fairly dense gauge for the weight of yarn, which means that it is extra warm, and because it's in garter stitch, it's also very stretchy. I blocked mine only very gently, but it could easily be blocked more aggressively to be positively enormous!



I used Cascade Eco Wool for my shawl, but because it's so stretchy and fit isn't hugely important, yarn substitution is easy. My pattern testers have used all sorts of yarn, mostly in the worsted/heavy worsted category, and it seems to look great in solids, semisolids, and even self-striping yarns.

I'm very happy with how this shawl turned out, and I'm hoping you will enjoy the pattern!

2 comments:

  1. it looks like a lovely and comfortable shawl. congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's very handsome. There's something about being enveloped in a big shawl that is so comforting.

    ReplyDelete