Pages

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Go Fish

Those of you who have been following my spinning know I have a favorite dyer. I discovered Kristin of All Spun Up about two years ago, shortly after I bought my wheel. I can still remember finishing the first yarn I spun from her fiber. Shortly after that, I discovered the ASU Ravelry group and started participating in the ASU spinalongs. For these spinalongs, we usually know what the fiber is, but the colorway is a mystery. Over the course of two months, all of the participants spin their fiber and share photos of their yarn on the ASU board. It's a great way to get inspired and gather ideas for future spinning projects.

In recent months, there has been quite a response by those of us on the ASU board to a particular colorway, so much so that Kristin -- who usually doesn't name her colorways and rarely repeats them -- was begged to dye more of it. One member of the group called this colorway Goldfish Wearing a Tutu, and the name stuck. Braids of this colorway, like most of Kristin's fiber, would fly off the virtual shelves in her Etsy store when they were listed, and they became in high demand. I managed to get one braid by sheer luck (you saw it a few months ago). Soon, there began to be talk of having a spinalong with just this colorway, because there were so many people who wanted some of it and hadn't been lucky enough to get some in an update.

The great thing about Kristin is that she really listens to her customers and delivers. She announced that this summer, there would be a Goldfish Wearing a Tutu spinalong, and this time the colorway would be on Polwarth, which seems to be one of the hot fibers of the moment.

But that was not all. Kristin had decided that this would be one of three colorways for the spinalong. She'd created another fish-themed colorway called Koi Pond.

Finally, to keep the mystery alive in the spinalong, there would be a third mystery colorway available for purchase. My fiber arrived on Friday and I finally got to see the surprise -- this one is called A Somewhat Seuss-ish Trout. I love it as well.

These are all Polwarth, which I have not spun yet but am really looking forward to. The fiber, as always, is beautifully prepped and gorgeously dyed. GWAT and Koi Pond will likely both be chain plied, but the Trout will be up first (just as soon as I finish up what's currently on my wheel). I'm thinking this will be a two-ply fingering weight.

6 comments:

  1. Koi Pond is really beautiful. (as are the others!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:53 AM

    All beautiful fibers!!!! I'm anxious to see what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm those colors are lovely! Must go search All Spun Up Website ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz T.12:40 PM

    Not a spinner, but love seeing your fibers and how they work up. These colors are all gorgeous. Have to admit, though, I'm still drooling over Haruni - just stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are all pretty, but I like the last two far more than the original. I look forward to seeing what you do with these braids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, those are GORGEOUS.

    ReplyDelete